Sunday, June 3, 2012

Writing: Mentors

This is for Day 3 of the Author Blog Challenge.

Who are the writers you most admire? Who are your writing mentors?

This has always been a difficult question for me to answer. I don't read any particular writer exclusively and I don't find any one specific writer someone I want to aspire to become. I read all different genres of writing and  all different styles and voices. There are so many wonderful writers out there that it is impossible to choose even just a few as influences on me or as specific writers that I admire.

I guess, lately, I am most impressed with my indie writing friends who are getting their stories out there, marketing them all by themselves and being successful. I read their novels and am impressed that they have managed to produce such fabulous writing without the aid of publishing houses or marketing money, and I am most impressed with the fact that they believe in themselves and their writing enough to find a way to put it out there for public consumption.

3 comments:

Laura Orsini (aka Marcie Brock) said...

I love this post for a couple reasons: You're your own person and you're so supportive of other indie authors! Thanks for sharing, Becky!

Jo Michaels said...

Indie authors have a place in this world, and if I were the publishing houses, I would keep my eye open for indies to sign rather than running their methods down with a steamroller. I'm a designer so publishing a tangible book alongside an e-book is something I am helping a lot of indie authors do (and I do it for FREE). Because we all need a little help sometime. WRITE ON!

E.B. Black said...

Honestly, all writers that wrote a book that I loved, I look up to.