Friday, February 17, 2012

The Faeries' Dance

I was reading from some friends and found out that my friend Tonya submitted an entry to a writing contest. About Fairies. Some of you know that I also have a blog that is all about fairies. I just couldn't pass this flash Fiction writing contest up! So I’m posting it here as my entry to The Fairy Ring Writing Contest. (You can read Tonya's entry here.)

****************************************************





fairy with dove

The moonlight filtered through the trees to my right as I walked along the well-worn path. I loved walking here at night.  This park was more natural than some of the over-cultivated parks closer to my home, and I preferred it to them. It was quieter her too.  Leaves crunched under my feet and a cool breeze lifted my hair gently. I shivered, but it wasn’t because I was cold. I just had an odd feeling settle in the pit of my stomach, like something wasn’t quite right in the air around me.

That’s when I heard the laughter. It was carried on the breeze and just barely tickled my ear with its gleeful sound. It sounded like children were playing on a distant playground, but I knew it was too late for children to be out. My steps faltered. I suddenly wondered if it was safe to be out alone tonight.
But the soft laughter continued to tickle my ears and then I saw the lights. There must have been dozens of them, in every color imaginable. They floated in the air towards me and began to swirl around me, making me almost dizzy as I tried to focus on them. The lights grew and expanded and soon I could see shapes taking form within them. In moments, I was surrounded by dozens of dancing men and women. They all had a faint glow about them and wispy glittery wings on their backs.
They were beautiful and graceful and I felt myself pulled with a wild abandon into their dance. I felt like I could dance forever. The dancing was sensual and energetic and I could feel the movements singing through my veins as if I was catching fire from the inside out. I woke on the forest floor.

*****************************************************
word count: 300 words
I must admit that I struggled a little with keeping my entry to 300 words. You can read my first, slightly longer draft here.

******************************************************




17 comments:

Donna McNicol said...

You made ME want to dance!

Alayne Kay Christian said...

You did a great job with 300 words. For a moment, I felt like I was in a magical place of freedom and peace doing a sensual fairy dance. Thank you for taking me to that world.

Jo-Anne Teal (jtvancouver) said...

Really enjoyed the scene you set. Nice Rebecca!

Becky Fyfe said...

Thanks, Donna, alayne and Jo-Anne! :)

patientdreamer said...

Beautiful, so discriptive, off to read more.

Amalia Dillin said...

I actually read your longer draft first. I think this one might be stronger!

Penny Parker Klostermann said...

Really amazing what you did with 300 words...very nice! Good luck.

Unknown said...

Love a good fairy dance! Thank you for entering, Rebecca :)

tmycann said...

Very evocative--and thanks for the shout-out! This is definitely a competitive field of flash fics. :)

SJIHolliday said...

That's lovely, well done :)

J. Whitworth Hazzard said...

Lovely tale. I would love to see a fairy dance circle. :)

L.S. Taylor (@ls_taylor) said...

I liked how you put me right in the story, with the specific details such as the crunching leaves.

And I really enjoyed the ending! That reverie, and that dream-like quality, definitely added to the story's ethereal mystique.

Steven Paul Watson said...

Enjoyed it! Very well done.

The RambleInn said...

Such loving detail to imagery! Lovely piece!

Becky Fyfe said...

Thanks, patientdreamer,Amalia, Penny, Anna, Tonya, SJIHoliday,J. Whitworth Hazzard, L. S. Taylor, ashviper and Dee!

Anonymous said...

Good story, I particularly like the imagery of fairy lights in moonlight.

Eva Rieder said...

I love this! I can feel the fairies all around. Well done!